On Saturday 22 June, Petersfield Area Community Trust held our annual PACT/Norfolk Street Summer Event. For the second year, Norfolk Street was closed to traffic for what is a growing celebration and showcase of the Petersfield area. See our gallery below for a taste of what the day offered – also see photos of our carnival parade workshops. The charity auction is still open until 9 July – so get bidding!
The day saw dance, sports, art, music, international food, and ended with a colourful and noisy carnival parade. Holding out against some early showers and gusts, the day started with a bang – well, quite a few bangs – from the vibrant Chinese lion dance!
Coton Morris Men livened things up:
The sun soon shone out, and Fruity Clavé samba band got us ready for our carnival parade with a performance and workshop:
For our 140-character takes on the event and its run-up, see the Twitter hashtag #pactsummerevent
Cambridge News’ Adam Luke gave online coverage of the event, and Cambridge 105’s Ceri-Ann Littlechild (also the Mill Road Co-ordinator) visited and reported for their Summer in the City programme (podcast, listen from 29:50-33:05 for an interview with PACT’s chair and event coordinator Anna and 43:25-49:10 for an interview with the Eco-Salon).
Mick Brown made a video montage of the day to the soundtrack of the Coton Morris Men:
Special thanks go to:
* FLACK’s volunteers for making our beautiful signposts
* Janek Dziewulski for his continued support, helping apply for funding, sorting PACT computers, and more.
* Jill Fordham for coordinating our artists
* Lily Bracey for designing our winning Summer Event poster this year (see right)
* Matt Hodgkinson for being responsible for PACT’s social media presence, and other unsung jobs
* Nick Ellis for our fabulous event Map
* Philly Owles for being a superb Treasurer, steward of PACT Summer Event’s finances (and PACT in general), and for marshalling set-up and loaning us the use of her garage for temporary storage
* Siâna Chalkley-Robinson for galvanising our awesome group of stewards
* Simone Chalkley for organising the fabulous carnival costume workshops over the two weekends preceding our Event, for coordinating the carnival parade itself and marshalling set-up!
* Definitely not least, Anna Lindsay for coordinating such a successful event!
* Cambridge East Area Committee – the bulk of our Summer Event funding
* The Cooperative membership community fund for Cambridge & East Anglia – supported the PACT/Norfolk Summer Event carnival parade
* Anglia Ruskin University – contribution towards the Summer Event
Stewards and helpers: Chris Vandriel, Daniel Gordon, David Chandler, Emon Miah, Jan Dziewulski, Jane Hellings, Janet Simpson, Kevin Blencowe, Lesley Tubb, Lindsay Percival, Lynne & Kenn Martin, Mary Owles, Mohon M, Mostyn Maltpress, Philly Owles, Richard Harvey, Ross Shelley-Pilsworth, Seb K, Shipon Miah, Suraiya R, Theo T, & Connor.
Photographers: Steven Lee, Alex, and Will Bowles
Other stars of the day: Andy Bowie Jazz Band, Anthony Paul & his Fruity Clave samba band, Anupma Wadheera, British Science Association with Dr Rose Spears, Cambridge 105 local community radio and Ceri-Ann Littlechild, Cambridge Community Circus, Cambridge Constabulary, Cambridge Edition, Cambridge Evening News, Carisma Kickboxing, CB2 Café, Chinese Lion Dancers (Wendy & Co), City of David Choir, Claire Cooper, Mayor of Cambridge Cllr Paul Saunders, Coton Morris Men, Dawn (Facepainting), Dolores Maher (artist), Dhruvi (mehndi), Elaine Shortt, Elite Sports with Alex, Ellis & Connelly, Emily Fowke (artist), Fairytale Marquees, Farhana Begum-Miah (mehndi), Feel Free Dance, Cambridgeshire Fire Service with their fire engine, Helen Imogen Field (artist), Hilary & Beverley of Oblique Arts (the ‘Eco-Salon’), Hungarian Chimney Cake stall, Irene Wilkes (artist), Irie Caribbean Food, Jack’s Gelato, Junkyard Stilties, Kazna crafts, Kinnerz Dance, Kirsten Lavers (artist), Lanie Fowke (artist), Local Secrets, Monica Smith (artist), Peter Lee, head Tony Davies for the St.Matthew’s Primary School tour and lending us their sound system, Norfolk Street Bakery stall, Norfolk Street Deli, Olga Mielczarek (cake), Olga Plocienniczak, Ozy Ozcan, Salus Wellness Clinics (who collected donations to PACT in exchange for taster treatments including very welcome massages), Siâna Chalkley-Robinson (hula hooping), Squeaky Gate performers, St John Ambulance with Jan Dziewulski, Rob Rescorla, St.Matthew’s School Choir & teacher Emily Barratt, St. Matthew’s Primary School pupils for their origami flowers and animals, Tangueando.net with Costa and Flo, The Banner Stall with Lanie and Emily, The Box Café, The Map Project (Hugh Chapman & Sa’adiah Khan), Tribal Bellydancers (Tracey), Zhonghua Calligraphy and Chinese culture stall – and all the businesses who donated prizes to our tombola and charity auction!
Venues and logistics:
* Alex Wood Hall: costume storage on the day.
* CB2 café: use of premises for Summer Event planning & other meetings, and hosting the Map Project on the day.
* Man on the Moon: use of the community room for our carnival workshops, events on the day.
* The Box Café: use of premises for Summer Event planning meetings, barbecue on the day, agreeing to host our photo competition winners.
* Squeaky Gate Community Room: Squeaky Gate for agreeing to host art on the day; Andy Slaymaker for arranging the picture rail to be put up in time; Ridgeons for providing the picture rail; Mackays of Cambridge for providing the special fittings for the picture rail.
* PA equipment: Colin – for manning the PA system on the green; William Smythe – PA in the Man on the Moon; Cambridge Audio Visual for lending us the PA equipment.