Event will take place on Sunday 7th August 2016 on St Matthew’s Piece, Cambridge between 12:00 and 16:30.
Thank you to everyone who donated prizes and who bid for items in our charity auction. Bids for the items raised several hundred pounds for PACT!
BUT – it’s not over yet! The reserve price was not met for 7 lots and these are still up for grabs until 1 August. They are:
4. Computer Resale – Dell Pentium IV PC, 3.4GHz, 80GB hard drive, 1GB RAM, DVD-RW, 8x USB, including monitor, mouse, and cables
5. WT’s Snooker (1) – a lifetime membership, and play a snooker frame with Joe “The Gentleman” Perry, a world championship quarter finalist
6. WT’s Snooker (2) – a lifetime membership, and play a snooker frame with Neil “The Thunder from Down Under” Robertson, a world champion
7. Tattoos by Fabio – ear-piercing voucher worth £25
13. Kelsey Kerridge (1) – 1 x course for 10 gym sessions, RRP £64
14. Kelsey Kerridge (2) – 1 x course for 10 fitness classes, RRP £56
18. Cambridge United – family ticket for four to a match next season
This auction is a ‘silent auction’ or ’sealed bid auction’ – a written bids state: 1) your name & contact details; 2) the item you are bidding for; 3) the maximum price you are prepared to bid for the item. Whoever submits the highest bid for the item wins the item. There is no limit on the number of items for which you are allowed to bid: and you are allowed to bid more than once for an item. Only the highest bid will be counted. All bids are binding: winners must pay in cash when they collect their prize (at a mutually convenient time).
Email your bid, contact details, and lot details to email@example.com!
PACT is delighted to announce the winners of our PACT/Norfolk Street Summer Event carnival costume competition, and to share the photographs that have won and were shortlisted for our PACT Summer Event 2013 photographic competition!
The shortlisted photographs, submitted by members of the public and voted on by PACT’s trustees, were on display at our AGM on Tuesday 9th July in the Squeaky Gate community room from 7:30pm. They will then be on display at The Box Café on Norfolk Street, with kind permission of Ozy. The winning photographs were selected by Dave Harwood, professional photographer for the Cambridge News, and announced at the AGM:
- 1st place: Steven Lee with a striking shot of the Chinese lion dance that opened the Summer Event
- 2nd place: Steven Lee, again! A candid shot of a couple examining the schedule of events
- 3rd place: Matt Hodgkinson’s shot of the colourful ‘Graffiti Gardens’
- Kenn Martin deserves a special mention, having taken 11 of the 25 shortlisted photos
Carnival costume winners
We were so excited by the response to our carnival costume workshops and the parade on the day. Here are the best costumes from the Carnival Parade:
- First place: Paul Little as the fly – and yes, those ARE windscreen wipers which found new life as his antennae!
- Second place: Evie as the red bird
- Third place: Siâna C-R as the ladybird – complete with leaf!
Congratulations to all three! An honourable mention goes to Herbie for his simple-but-super toadstool costume.
On Saturday 22 June, Petersfield Area Community Trust held our annual PACT/Norfolk Street Summer Event. For the second year, Norfolk Street was closed to traffic for what is a growing celebration and showcase of the Petersfield area. See our gallery below for a taste of what the day offered – also see photos of our carnival parade workshops. The charity auction is still open until 9 July – so get bidding!
The day saw dance, sports, art, music, international food, and ended with a colourful and noisy carnival parade. Holding out against some early showers and gusts, the day started with a bang – well, quite a few bangs – from the vibrant Chinese lion dance!
Coton Morris Men livened things up:
The sun soon shone out, and Fruity Clavé samba band got us ready for our carnival parade with a performance and workshop:
For our 140-character takes on the event and its run-up, see the Twitter hashtag #pactsummerevent
Cambridge News’ Adam Luke gave online coverage of the event, and Cambridge 105’s Ceri-Ann Littlechild (also the Mill Road Co-ordinator) visited and reported for their Summer in the City programme (podcast, listen from 29:50-33:05 for an interview with PACT’s chair and event coordinator Anna and 43:25-49:10 for an interview with the Eco-Salon).
Mick Brown made a video montage of the day to the soundtrack of the Coton Morris Men:
Special thanks go to:
* FLACK’s volunteers for making our beautiful signposts
* Janek Dziewulski for his continued support, helping apply for funding, sorting PACT computers, and more.
* Jill Fordham for coordinating our artists
* Lily Bracey for designing our winning Summer Event poster this year (see right)
* Matt Hodgkinson for being responsible for PACT’s social media presence, and other unsung jobs
* Nick Ellis for our fabulous event Map
* Philly Owles for being a superb Treasurer, steward of PACT Summer Event’s finances (and PACT in general), and for marshalling set-up and loaning us the use of her garage for temporary storage
* Siâna Chalkley-Robinson for galvanising our awesome group of stewards
* Simone Chalkley for organising the fabulous carnival costume workshops over the two weekends preceding our Event, for coordinating the carnival parade itself and marshalling set-up!
* Definitely not least, Anna Lindsay for coordinating such a successful event!
* Cambridge East Area Committee – the bulk of our Summer Event funding
* The Cooperative membership community fund for Cambridge & East Anglia – supported the PACT/Norfolk Summer Event carnival parade
* Anglia Ruskin University – contribution towards the Summer Event
Stewards and helpers: Chris Vandriel, Daniel Gordon, David Chandler, Emon Miah, Jan Dziewulski, Jane Hellings, Janet Simpson, Kevin Blencowe, Lesley Tubb, Lindsay Percival, Lynne & Kenn Martin, Mary Owles, Mohon M, Mostyn Maltpress, Philly Owles, Richard Harvey, Ross Shelley-Pilsworth, Seb K, Shipon Miah, Suraiya R, Theo T, & Connor.
Photographers: Steven Lee, Alex, and Will Bowles
Other stars of the day: Andy Bowie Jazz Band, Anthony Paul & his Fruity Clave samba band, Anupma Wadheera, British Science Association with Dr Rose Spears, Cambridge 105 local community radio and Ceri-Ann Littlechild, Cambridge Community Circus, Cambridge Constabulary, Cambridge Edition, Cambridge Evening News, Carisma Kickboxing, CB2 Café, Chinese Lion Dancers (Wendy & Co), City of David Choir, Claire Cooper, Mayor of Cambridge Cllr Paul Saunders, Coton Morris Men, Dawn (Facepainting), Dolores Maher (artist), Dhruvi (mehndi), Elaine Shortt, Elite Sports with Alex, Ellis & Connelly, Emily Fowke (artist), Fairytale Marquees, Farhana Begum-Miah (mehndi), Feel Free Dance, Cambridgeshire Fire Service with their fire engine, Helen Imogen Field (artist), Hilary & Beverley of Oblique Arts (the ‘Eco-Salon’), Hungarian Chimney Cake stall, Irene Wilkes (artist), Irie Caribbean Food, Jack’s Gelato, Junkyard Stilties, Kazna crafts, Kinnerz Dance, Kirsten Lavers (artist), Lanie Fowke (artist), Local Secrets, Monica Smith (artist), Peter Lee, head Tony Davies for the St.Matthew’s Primary School tour and lending us their sound system, Norfolk Street Bakery stall, Norfolk Street Deli, Olga Mielczarek (cake), Olga Plocienniczak, Ozy Ozcan, Salus Wellness Clinics (who collected donations to PACT in exchange for taster treatments including very welcome massages), Siâna Chalkley-Robinson (hula hooping), Squeaky Gate performers, St John Ambulance with Jan Dziewulski, Rob Rescorla, St.Matthew’s School Choir & teacher Emily Barratt, St. Matthew’s Primary School pupils for their origami flowers and animals, Tangueando.net with Costa and Flo, The Banner Stall with Lanie and Emily, The Box Café, The Map Project (Hugh Chapman & Sa’adiah Khan), Tribal Bellydancers (Tracey), Zhonghua Calligraphy and Chinese culture stall – and all the businesses who donated prizes to our tombola and charity auction!
Venues and logistics:
* Alex Wood Hall: costume storage on the day.
* CB2 café: use of premises for Summer Event planning & other meetings, and hosting the Map Project on the day.
* Man on the Moon: use of the community room for our carnival workshops, events on the day.
* The Box Café: use of premises for Summer Event planning meetings, barbecue on the day, agreeing to host our photo competition winners.
* Squeaky Gate Community Room: Squeaky Gate for agreeing to host art on the day; Andy Slaymaker for arranging the picture rail to be put up in time; Ridgeons for providing the picture rail; Mackays of Cambridge for providing the special fittings for the picture rail.
* PA equipment: Colin – for manning the PA system on the green; William Smythe – PA in the Man on the Moon; Cambridge Audio Visual for lending us the PA equipment.
What amazing generosity! Local businesses have done themselves proud in supporting our PACT/Norfolk Street Summer Event on Saturday 22 June. Below are the prizes we have received for our tombola and charity auction, and you can see some pictures on Facebook. Want to win? Come along to our Summer Event and buy your tombola tickets! Many thanks to everyone who donated these wonderful items (and to Anna for organising this), and good luck to everyone on the day!
The charity auction is on now! This auction is a ‘silent auction’ or ‘sealed bid auction’ -written bids state: 1) your name & contact details; 2) the item you are bidding for; 3) the maximum price you are prepared to bid for the item. Whoever submits the highest bid for the item wins the item. It’s as easy as 1 – 2 – 3. Don’t let it get away!
There is no limit on the number of items for which you are allowed to bid: and you are allowed to bid more than once for an item. Only the highest bid will be counted. The auction finishes at the close of our AGM on Tuesday 9th July. All bids are binding: winners must pay in cash when they collect their prize (at a mutually convenient time).
You can submit bids:
- via email to auction@PACTcambridge.org
- in person/writing at the Summer Event
- in writing to PACT Auction, c/o 168 York Street, Cambridge, CB1 2PY
- in person/writing at our PACT AGM on Tuesday 9th July.
The auction items can be viewed at the Summer Event by the PACT info stall in the sunken green on Norfolk Street. The lots are as follows – and see more detail in this PDF.
1. Parkside Pools – One year’s unlimited swimming – also valid at Abbey Pools, Kings Hedges Learner Pool, and Jesus Green Outdoor Lido
2. The Park – a pamper day for two
3. Salus Wellness – one-hour Swedish or deep tissue massage
4. Computer Resale – Dell PC, including monitor, mouse, and cables
5. WT’s Snooker (1) – a lifetime membership, and play a snooker frame with Joe “The Gentleman” Perry
6. WT’s Snooker (2) – a lifetime membership, and play a snooker frame with Neil “The Thunder from Down Under” Robertson
7. Tattoos by Fabio – ear-piercing voucher
8. Millers Music – ukulele
9. National Tyres – full MOT
10. Dobbler’s Inn – voucher for a gallon of real ale or cider, plus two pizzas
11. The Snug – cocktail class for four
12. The Teeth Whitening Company – one hour laser tooth treatment
13. Kelsey Kerridge (1) – 1 x course for 10 gym sessions
14. Kelsey Kerridge (2) – 1 x course for 10 fitness classes
15. DiVINE Hair Salon – Afro-carribean hair braiding
16. Finn Jordan – One hour full-body Swedish Massage
17. Camrider Motorcycle Training – a day’s Compulsory Basic Training course
18. Cambridge United – family ticket for four to a match next season
19. Elke Hausler – 1 hour back pain relief session
20. Serena Jewellery – pearl pendant necklace
For the tombola, tickets are 50p each (no bulk discount) and there is a 1 in 5 chance of winning. You win something if you pick a ticket ending with 0 or 5, but you need to match the number and the colour of the ticket with the one on the prize. We have all of these tombola prizes!
Parkside Pools – family swims
Merhaba Turkish Cuisine – meal for two
Peppy’s Barber – haircuts for two
Tesco, East Road – boxes, & boxes, of chocolates
The Snug – meal for two
The Grafton Centre – £50 gift voucher
Inglot cosmetics – £20 voucher
Vue Cinemas – six ticket vouchers
Debenhams – three toiletry items
Benzer Bags – bag
Dukels International – giftbox set of Johnson’s toiletries
Fine Cuts – two haircuts
Grace’s Accessories – three necklaces
Kismet Natural World products – ‘California Republic’ cap worth £25
Multi-service Centre – seven watches
Urban Hair Company – two large salon-sized Wella shampoo & conditioner sets
Party Mania – Wally Ball game
Cambridge Nails & Spa – 2 x £20 vouchers
Moben/Sharps – gift box from Evolution
Billys – OgoDisk hand trampoline
Kymmoy – lunch deal for two people
Arena Cafe – vouchers
Discount Autoparts – car floormats, car care products
CB2 Bistro – meal for two, including wine
Uppercuts – two gift bags of hair care products, and one cut & blowdry voucher
Cafe de Paris – voucher
Neide’s Deli Cafe – 2 x vouchers for two
Tulip Restaurant – vouchers for lamb and chicken wraps
Cash Converters – DVD box sets (Rocky and Mr Selfridge)
CB1 Internet Cafe – two vouchers for meal for two
The Bike Shed – voucher for bicycle service
The Baguette Express – family meal for four
Nutters Hair Salon – “shine blaster” product
Fagito Takeaway – two vouchers for £9
Arjuna Wholefoods – decorative bag & products
Cambridge Framing Centre – mirror
IPG – paintballing discount vouchers
Kuoni Travel – two luxury branded towels
The Tram Depot – meal for two including bottle of wine
The Bakers – £15 meal
The Workshop Partnership employment agency – two bottles of wine
Andrew Northrop Family Butchers – £25 of fresh meat
Angel Beauty Parlour – four vouchers for treatments (eyebrow threading and mini manicure)
Petrou Brothers – three autographed books
Norfolk Street Deli – gorgeous hamper of specialty foods
Spice Gate – tray of Baklava
Nip In – seven boxes of biscuits
Cambridge Wine Merchants – £15 wine tasting voucher
Tezcan’s Hair Salon – vouchers for haircuts
Winfield Chinese Supermarket – 60 packets of noodles
Bosphorus Grill House – 2 x meals for two
Mace Stores – Lentil mini-hamper
Vision Unisex Hair Salon – haircut
Cam Cycles – bike bell, bike chain/padlock, lights, mini-pump and more
H. Gee – CD rack
Babylon IT Solutions – telephone wipes, screen cleaning kit
Cantab Millennium Computers – headphones, USB sticks, computer mice, SDHC cards
Prana Restaurant – meal for two, plus discount voucher
Lally’s Newsagents – bottle of cider & pen
Elitian Printers – ream of paper
Moda Barbers – one haircut at Mill Road salon, one haircut at East Road salon
White Swan pub – bottle of Bushmills whisky
Pets at Home – Fishtank and food, PLUS two £5 vouchers
Marks & Spencer (Beehive Centre) – two enormous boxes of chocolates, PLUS bottle of wine PLUS large bag of “Percy Rations” sweets
Bacchanalia – A bottle of Prosecco
Inspirations hair & beauty by Dipa – £10 gift voucher
Cambridge Toy Shop – a lovely teddy bear
Moghul Tandoori Restaurant – takeaway meal to the value of £30
Mr Peter Mullins of Norfolk St Dental Practice – 2 x six-packs of beer
Cook for You – 6 x £5 vouchers
Adilia’s Norfolk Street Bakery – 6 x £5 gift vouchers
Zhonghua Traditional Snacks – 3 x £10 vouchers
The Box Café – lunch for two, including dessert
Day 1 on Norfolk Street – bottle of wine, box of tea, box of Milk Tray chocolates
All Seasons Food – large selection of Afro-Caribbean specialities
Mickey Flynns – 7 ice buckets, box of shot glasses, carnival masks
Madame & Monsieur Hair Salon – 1 lady’s haircut, 1 gentleman’s haircut
Penguin Dry Cleaners – £15 dry cleaning voucher
Oriental Direct – large box of assorted specialities
Mill Road International Supermarket – large assortment of specialities
Jaffa Net Cafe – box of fresh baklava
Code Hair salon – 3 x £10 vouchers
Al Amin – gorgeous hamper
Kelsey Kerridge – healthsuite vouchers
Summer Event planning – Thursday 6th June, 7pm at CB2 café on Norfolk Street
Buzz team meeting – Thursday 13th June, 7.30pm at 168 York Street
Planning issues – Wednesday 26th June, 8pm at CB2 café on Norfolk Street
PACT Board of trustees and AGM planning – Wednesday 3rd July, 7.30pm at 168 York Street
PACT AGM – Tuesday 9th July, 7:30pm in SqueakyGate community room on Norfolk Street. All welcome.
And don’t forget… the Summer Event on Saturday 22nd June!
** Update – the workshops and parade were a great success! Thanks to all who came along and especially to Simone Chalkley for organising and Lynne Martin from Elitian Printers for her amazing crocheted flowers and leaves. **
** The Cooperative membership community fund for Cambridge & East Anglia generously supported the PACT/Norfolk Summer Event carnival parade. **
** Photos of the workshops are in a gallery below. **
We are holding a Carnival parade at the end of this years’ PACT/Norfolk Street Summer Event on 22nd June – great fun for children and adults alike! The theme is the Millennium Garden, created by PACT and the City Council in 2002: think flowers, trees, insects, birds and the lovely mosaics.
Simone is holding workshops to make carnival costumes (and she is already enthusiastically knitting bunting with plarn): the workshops will be in the Man on the Moon community room on the Saturday and Sunday afternoons for the two weeks before the Summer Event. A flyer for the workshops is here. The dates and times are:
- Sat 8th & 15th June from 1.30-4.30 pm
- Sun 9th & 16th June from 1.30-5.00 pm
The workshops will cost £3 per person or £5 per family of four; this will cover the cost of one or all of the sessions, including the cost of materials and equipment. Materials will be provided. All ages are welcome, though under 16s must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Spaces are limited, so book early! You can turn up on the day but there is no guarantee that there will be a place if you haven’t booked.
To book, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For the Summer Event parade on the day, the road will be closed to traffic. Meet at 4:15pm by the Millennium Garden on Norfolk St and the parade starts at 4:45pm. Don’t worry if you are unable to attend the workshops as you are very welcome to join the carnival parade on the day!
The winning theme was the Millennium Garden.
The PACT/Norfolk Street Summer Event on Saturday 22nd June 2013 will finish with a carnival parade – all are welcome, young and old! We still need to decide the THEME of this year’s parade. Which of these three ideas do YOU think should be the theme?
- Millennium Garden – the little public garden on the corner of Norfolk Street/St.Matthew’s Street, which PACT was responsible for creating – examples of costumes could be flowers, mosaics, bees…
- Petersfield Carnival – what it says on the tin – anything to do with this area of Cambridge, with a carnival twist!
- Summer – all that warmth, sunshine, colour and summer glory, which seems so distant this cold spring!
What gets YOUR vote? As with the poster design competition, EVERYONE is allowed to vote – one vote per person! Let us know by midnight Wednesday 10th April. To vote you can contact us at info@PACTcambridge.org or message us on Facebook.
We have a team organizing drop-in carnival costume-making workshops over the two weekends – 8/9th and 15/16th June – before the Summer Event. There will be a small prize for the best individual or group costume at the end!
Don’t forget to let us know you are going to the Summer Event on our Summer Event Facebook Page, and if you want to get involved with the carnival parade and/or any other facet of the Summer Event or PACT’s work in general, GET IN TOUCH!
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls… you’ve seen the designs. You’ve sent in your choice. And… the votes are in. Last year, the home stretch was neck-and-neck between TWO designs, with the winner beating the competition by a SINGLE vote: this year, FIVE of the shortlisted designs duked it out. Runners-up 2, 3, and 4 TIED. But the final score, winning by a margin of TWELVE votes… was…
Lily Bracey, with her wonderful design!
We are holding a Carnival-themed parade at this years’ PACT/Norfolk Street Summer Event on 22nd June.
John at the Man on the Moon has very kindly agreed to let us use his community room for Carnival costume-making workshops on Saturday and Sunday afternoons for the two weeks before the Summer Event! All ages welcome, though under 16s must be accompanied by an adult at all times. A flyer for the workshops is here.
The dates and times available to us are:
- Sat 8th and 15th June from 1.30 p.m. – 4.30 p.m.
- Sun 9th and 16th June from 1.30 p.m. – 5.00 p.m.
The workshops will cost £3 per person or £5 per family of four; this will cover the cost of one or all of the sessions, including the cost of materials and equipment. Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult. Spaces are limited, so book early! You can turn up on the day but there is no guarantee that there will be a place if you haven’t booked. To book please contact: summer-event@PACTcambridge.org
For the Summer Event parade itself: meet at 4:15pm by the Millennium Garden on Norfolk St and start at 4:45pm. If you
are unable to attend the workshops don’t worry as you are welcome to join the carnival parade on the day!
The road will be closed to traffic.